Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

CHICKENS- low tec motion detectors or zombie attractors?

Guest kevin

I love my chickens. they are an awesome addition to our renewable food reserves.(eggs,meat) they keep our insect population at a manageable level, which helps our garden. they also raise 7 different hell when anything out of the ordinary steps on our property.

which is both a good and bad thing.

good for letting you know there is something amiss.

bad in that the constant clucking and crowing tends to let everything that's hungry know there is food to be had at your house.

its a delima i haven't found an answer to. i would of course defend all my food supplies, but intend to avoid needing to by laying low.

the other option i have been exploring is pigeons, less noise(at least it doesn't carry as far and isn't something most can instantly identify as food), but also less meat and eggs per animal.

if anyone can see this with a clearer view than i have let me know.

Guest kevin

oh i use it now for target practice. lots of coyotes, raccoon, and foxes here.....still, and iv'e been hammering them. but in a shtf or worse i'm worried about humans.....i have trained the dog not to bark. not much luck with the chicken ......yet.

Here are suggestions for trying to keep chickens (especially roosters) quiet:

http://www.chickenkeepingsecrets.com/keeping-chickens/keeping-noisy-roosters-cockerels-quiet/

This breed is supposedly more appropriate for the suburbs because they aren't loud enough to disturb neighbors, although the roosters are still feisty:

http://humgardens.com/chickens/barred_rock_chickens_breed.htm

Another site suggested a slightly larger, well-insulated coop. With that approach, you could keep their sounds pretty well muffled during periods when you thought you might be in danger of discovery. Obviously this isn't a permanent solution or something that would work if you want to be on 24/7 lockdown for weeks or months. And remember that hens need plenty of light to encourage them to lay eggs, so you'll want to ensure that the chicken coop has good lighting if you're keeping them indoors for extended periods.

Predators can be a good source of protein. I know for sure that raccoons are. Cats,...not so much too stringy. Maybe I did learn something in survival school.....the rabbit you are issued is not a pet. Treat it accordingly.

Edited by VIS 9

Guest kevin

thanks for the links chick.

silverwolf we have had them in the past, way to noise for use. their skreech is to harsh.

vis they tase a little like cat.

thanks guys;)

vis 9

We must have ate at some of the same places. ordered some one time i think it jumped out of the skillet cause it was still bleeding. Dont mind my steaks rare but not my yard bird.

woofie55,

Sorry that someone gave you the bird>>> I know the feeling, blood is only good in beef or buffalo.

thanks for the links chick.

silverwolf we have had them in the past, way to noise for use. their skreech is to harsh.

vis they tase a little like cat.

thanks guys;)

Pole cat or the other kind?

hi all

good call 55,reading thru this i was going to suggest but you beat me too it.at nite they get in trees,but as you said they are great watch dogs.you dont have to get rid of your chickens,just get some guineas.at nite coop the chickens,leave the guineas out at nite.

I would go with pigeons less feed and water add garlic to water to treat for worms

and they are very prolific and small enough that portion control is easier

a whole chicken is a lot sometimes of course this all dark meat but you cannot have

everything.

rabbit tastes like chicken if you add chicken bullion it really has a taste like chicken

breast no much flavor unless bar-b-q-ed or smoked between both

you should have plenty of meat and no noise just remember you need a

sally port door system for pigeons so they cannot fly out,

I use corrugated metal screw down one side it is the hinge put an eye in the

center opposite edge and use a wire and make a hook to hold it open for

maintenance {clean bird crap} this door opens out.

on the inside a hook and eye to shut it.

the inner door needs to open in a slit for a screw eye to go through and a peg

on a string to keep it closed behind you.

if you make this area wide enough you can store your feed and hay and a shelf

for the few tools and medicines you will need.

this configuration keeps one door closed at all times so your pigeons do not escape

and to do cleaning then shut inner door and clean to outside I just use buckets

and set them out.

you can raise both rabbits on one side and pigeons on the other just make sure

the area over the rabbits is fenced so birds do not poop on the rabbits.

the nice thing about rabbits 6 to 8 weeks to the dinner table.

have fun or have none