Sign in to follow this  
rckmsc628

Salt!

Little more than an hour away..

Saltville is a small town that lies mostly in Smyth County in southwestern Virginia, between the Holston River and the Tennessee and Virginia Railroad. During the American Civil War (1861–1865), Saltville was of strategic importance for two reasons: the railroad provided an important link between the eastern and western theaters of the war, and the town's salt mines were crucial in supplying provisions for the Confederate army. As such, Saltville was the target of numerous Union raids. It was also the site of a battle on October 2, 1864, when outnumbered Confederate cavalry troops repulsed the advance of Union troops

Matt,

on this side of the Mason-Dixon line we refer to that as 'The War of the Northern Aggression'.:P

Yes Capt.Bart..

I copyed and pasted..(wanted the spelling correct LOL)

My father said the same thing when ever it came up.

Im still tracing Family(Arkansas) trying to prove enough to get into Sons of Confederate Veterans..

OOPS did I say that?

Oh about salt,yep we need it ..lol

I some times wonder how the human race has survived!!! What in the world did we do before we had all this protection that seems to be a matter of life and death now days. When I was a kid we ate peanut butter all the time. Egg sandwiches & Bologna sandwiches sat on a shelf in a class room for HOURS with mayo on them in HOT unairconditioned rooms and we just ate them. We got dirty and ate without washing our hands some times. Things you dropped were covered by the five second rule. Little kids played outside, ate dirt and bugs and we all seemed to live through it. Kids carried pocket knives and we rode our bikes out into the country side and did all sorts of things without adult supervision. Yeppers it is a total wonder that anyone survived...The fact is I don't remember any of us ever being sick except for measles, mumps, chicken pox and such. We were in general a hearty lot and didn't need a lot of attention from our parents.

Dan, I think that was before the "zombie" food (genetically mutated garbage they push now). When they use a petri dish to create our food and it is grown for mass amounts and no other reason, something had to be left out which was nutrition. IMHO

Hey! I DID used to ride my bike without a helmet! I even jumped it over broken sidewalks and tree roots, wiped out and didn't die! I'd go walking through the woods from sun up to sundown (and after sundown sometimes) carrying a rifle and shooting squirrels without my Dad watching over me!

How did I grow up and become a pansy who just waits to get cancer or alzheimers or dementia or some other dread disease?

Hey Matt? have you looked online at the Mormon records website? Even if you're not Mormon, they have a lot of valuable geneaology records. Helped my Dad out a lot. After fifty years of digging, he traced our roots back to the BlackForest region of Germany around 900AD. required two trips to German churches too though!

Ps- thought about this thread yesterday while looking for an address on Saltworks rd!

Edited by Hossfly

Hossfly..

Thanks ..yes I have used the LDS for information..

Example is that my Grand father was called "Frank"..but low and behold his real name was Charles Frank @@@@@...he was born in 1875..He had 2 wives because of early death of first spouce,My fathers Mother..(Dad was born in 1905,he also had 4 wives..lol)so it gets tangled from there..LOL

Sorry rant..yep we still need salt!!

Does anyone know how to get it in the wild?

You can get salt from the root of a hickory tree. You can boil the roots until all the water evaporates and black salt crystals are left.Stream banks and where soil erosion has occurred. If salt is there, animals will find it.

hope it helps,but in all my camping gear i always have a container with salt.

That's a great idea, I can trade my wife in for a black lab. I understand they can be well trained, the Lab, that is. The wife, not so much.

Hey Man...I think it has something to do with genetics. Sort of like to saying what's hers is hers and what yours is hers too.