Sign in to follow this  
exit

Bug out Practice - Lessons learned

If bugging out to wilderness or wherever, its probably a good idea to practice several times. One of the best ways to do so is by camping. This past weekend I invited my brother and two friends to 'camp' (even though I was really trying to practice bugging out). I learned several things that I thought I would share with all of you and perhaps get you all to share some of your own lessons.

A couple years ago I went Canoeing to a deserted beach and thought I'd try that again to see if it would be feasable to bug out.

Things that caught me off guard:

1. 2 is 1 and 1 is none when water proofing (DUH)

I put my BOB and other equipment in a black trash-bag but somehow water STILL got into the bag. I'm not sure whether it ripped or water came in from the top but even though the bag was never submerged everything at the bottom of my BOB got wet and even some things higher up. The only things that did not get wet were those that were enclosed in a 2nd bag like a ziplock bag.

Make sure you use 2 layer for waterproofing and if possible use a Dry Bag like the ones they sell at Bass Pro or on Amazon. It is WELL WORTH the money, as I've learned the hard way. If you're going to use ziplock bags get name brand because they DO seal better and will likely protect your stuff better.

2. Don't plan to do things on YOUR time when you're dealing with mother nature.

When we woke up the next day, we were surprised to find that the water line had dropped about 100 yards away. There was no way we would be able to leave until the high-tide came back. Also, when we were paddling to the beach it was HELL because the wind was against us.

BE AWARE of the tide changes, which way the wind is blowing and how fast, what time the sun goes down, the weather, and anything else that may be relevant to your BOL. Always plan to have 4-5 extra hours to do anything.

3. Take GOOD food

If you can help it, don't take crappy food with lots of preservatives. My stomach was killing me the next day and still feels a little funky even today. If you take food with lots of salt you're going to need a lot of water to compensate. If I would've taken an apple or some other fruits I think my post-camp out recovery would have been much faster.

4. 1 gallon per person per day will not be enough.

5. Bring some extra food for whatever amount of time you plan to stay.

I would say take 2-3 gallons per person if possible, especially if you're not near a fresh water source like a river or lake. Water is needed to clean things. Also, I had not ONE but TWO accidents in which my pot fell and I lost my soup. That's 2 liters of water completely gone within 10 minutes. Fortunately, I did bring plenty of water. We all had brought extra food too so I was able to eat despite losing my meal twice.

6. Bring lots of tinder or a fire starting log if possible.

Starting a fire CAN be easy. Keeping a fire going can be HARD. This is probably a no-brainer for most people but I'm trying to emphasize the fact that we have the ability to start a fire with MUCH less effort if we take something as simple as a small fire starting log. A fire starting log allows for more error if you lack experience keeping a fire going.

7. If you plan to bug-out, MAKE SURE your significant other or bug-out crew can handle whatever you plan to do.

It doesn't matter how badass you are or physically fit if your partners cant keep up. I made the mistake of inviting someone who couldn't paddle to save his life. The other two people in our group just flew ahead of us because my canoe partner was slacking big time.

8. Wear pants and long sleeve shirts no matter what. Be aware of what colors your using as they might attract certain animals.

I found a scorpion crawling up my leg. Later on, I found ANOTHER SCORPION on my shoulder. I don't know if they were attracted to my blue shirt or what but that freaked me out.

9. Make sure you have 2 ways to get to your BOL. (2 different types of vehicles)

If an EMP took out your car and you wanted to GOOD, does your back up vehicle have the necessary range to get you there.

This is all that I can remember right now. Maybe I'll add something else later. I will say that I did have a good time and I got to field test a lot of my equipment, all of it performed as expected or better.

Excelent..

I was just talking to a friend here on doing just that.I will be going to the mountains to make sure of my markings on the topo map.Water and cover.Will be maping out areas of Pine tress and best plase to camp or hide.I will be taking some onions and other bulb plants to have a wild garden.

I will need to find the Deer trails and small game trails also.

Thanks Exit for reenforcing my decision....you the Man..

Exit,

I would also advise you to bring extra clothing. Although some people think thats a given, you would be surprised how many people forget extra socks,pants,shirts etc. Extra clothes prove to be extremely helpful if you get wet, happen to throw up..etc.Lesson learned!

Some good info there Exit, thanks for sharing. For water proofing your pack if you have a top loader some USGI wet weather bags can be used as a secondary internal bag. Use a tie, fold tie method to close it inside of your pack. Those bags have a hundred and one other uses and are pretty rugged, and cheap.

Exit,

I would also advise you to bring extra clothing. Although some people think thats a given, you would be surprised how many people forget extra socks,pants,shirts etc. Extra clothes prove to be extremely helpful if you get wet, happen to throw up..etc.Lesson learned!

LOL Welcome to the forum babe

I'm glad I listened to you and brought the extra clothes. Thanks for reminding me about another lesson.

10. Don't drink Bacardi 151

That stuff sneaks up on you :)

Some good info there Exit, thanks for sharing. For water proofing your pack if you have a top loader some USGI wet weather bags can be used as a secondary internal bag. Use a tie, fold tie method to close it inside of your pack. Those bags have a hundred and one other uses and are pretty rugged, and cheap.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Edited by exit

One thing to think about is: Do not make all of your plans on a single pre-supposition. (I can get to my BOL in my vehicle). What if for some reason you can not. Have a plan B. Can you get to your BOL on foot? Certainly not with all of the items which you would have had in your vehicle. Try to get to your BOL on foot with your max load. Some units in Viet Nam would not have made it had it not been for air re-supply. Keep your BOB manageable. See if you can live out of it for a week at your BOL with out any other resources other than what is in your bag. There are many types of survival, make sure you know what yours is.

You may not be able to bring all of your toys with you to make your life comfortable. Survival is mostly mental....reenforce that. Gain the knowledge you need to survive with out the cool looking expensive guns.

Take a .22 rifle with you and also a pistol if you like. Figure out how much of a munitions load you can haul. You may have to leave your BOL. What can you take with you? How is your health and physical condition? Remember, you can not call FAC or Hillsboro and tell him you need resupply. (Lesson learned from Black Spot TWO ONE)

Edited by VIS 9

One thing to think about is: Do not make all of your plans on a single pre-supposition. (I can get to my BOL in my vehicle). What if for some reason you can not. Have a plan B. Can you get to your BOL on foot? Certainly not with all of the items which you would have had in your vehicle. Try to get to your BOL on foot with your max load. Some units in Viet Nam would not have made it had it not been for air re-supply. Keep your BOB manageable. See if you can live out of it for a week at your BOL with out any other resources other than what is in your bag. There are many types of survival, make sure you know what yours is.

You may not be able to bring all of your toys with you to make your life comfortable. Survival is mostly mental....reenforce that. Gain the knowledge you need to survive with out the cool looking expensive guns.

Take a .22 rifle with you and also a pistol if you like. Figure out how much of a munitions load you can haul. You may have to leave your BOL. What can you take with you? How is your health and physical condition? Remember, you can not call FAC or Hillsboro and tell him you need resupply. (Lesson learned from Black Spot TWO ONE)

True that! I'm actually going to pick up my first .22 Rifle tomorrow. Pretty excited :)

Exit,

I own several .22s from bolt to auto and today I ran across a Marlin .22 LR 925 with a synthetic stock. It has a receiver which is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. It is a bolt action. I bought the thing. I intend to put a leopold 2x7 scope on it and use it for small game. I will retire my remingtons. I love their open sights which I prefer to the Marlin but their receivers are not tapped for scope and at my advanced age I need all of the help I can get. I wish you the best of luck with your rifle. Let me know how it works out. If you are going to put a scope on it. Do not put some cheap something on it. My scope and mounts cost more than the Marlin.

Hey Vis,

Just curious, is there any reason you couldn't get the receivers tapped on your Remingtons? I tapped an SKS for a scope rail myself a few years ago, it's not too difficult of time consuming, you just have to get it straight.

Hello VT,

Yes, there is a very good reason, at least from my point of view. The Remingtons, I have 5, I wanted to leave in original condition as I am somewhat of a collector and did not want to ruin the value of the rifle incase I wanted to sell them at a later date. I did not have one with a scope. The Marlin 925 with resin stock is much lighter than my old rems. I did do some gunsmithing in my younger days but I do not have the necessary equipment left to do a proper job, and of course, the Marlin is already drilled and tapped.

Thanks, I was wondering if there may have been something from the design aspect that would have made it impossible or difficult to mount glass on your particular rifles. I sometimes for get that other like to collect gun and keep them original.

Exit,

I own several .22s from bolt to auto and today I ran across a Marlin .22 LR 925 with a synthetic stock. It has a receiver which is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. It is a bolt action. I bought the thing. I intend to put a leopold 2x7 scope on it and use it for small game. I will retire my remingtons. I love their open sights which I prefer to the Marlin but their receivers are not tapped for scope and at my advanced age I need all of the help I can get. I wish you the best of luck with your rifle. Let me know how it works out. If you are going to put a scope on it. Do not put some cheap something on it. My scope and mounts cost more than the Marlin.

I purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y0IYSG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Its cheap but not dirt cheap. I've read/heard great things about Tasco World Class scopes. I can't afford to dish out 100+ for a scope right now.

Its got a 30/30 rectile I'm still waiting for it to arrive.. should be here Thursday. I put some weaver mounts that allow me to still use the iron sights if I want.

Just like a car. You try to keep it looking good so you can get rid of it easier.....unlike an ex wife, talk about an investment! And then it costs you even more to get rid of them.

LMAO!

Yes sir a wet backpack can mess up the best made plans.Lessons learned as well. Now I always have a pack cover. Ponchos work well too. I use the before mentioned dry bags as well. In the pack i place my spare clothing that are already in zip locks and my fire starting gear. I use the dry bag as a bear bag over night.

plan for the worse and hope for the best. reality lies in between.

NASA was big on redundancy. I use that method as well with my different bags and modes of transportation.

Exit, I did this very thing a few years back. Things I learned...

1) Loose items such as clothes/towels/washrags are packed in

drybags or Rubbermaid containers.

2) I've created a color code system in which items are to be

loaded and which 4 wheel drive it goes in or trailer it's loaded

on.

For instance, red/red: truck, first. Green/Red: suv,first,

Black/Orange: trailer,second, red/orange, truck,second.

So I basically color coded vehicles and prioritized loading

stuff. I plan on bugging-in. However, if G.O.O.D. becomes a necessity we'll have a plan to do it quickly if needed.

Yes sir a wet backpack can mess up the best made plans.Lessons learned as well. Now I always have a pack cover. Ponchos work well too. I use the before mentioned dry bags as well. In the pack i place my spare clothing that are already in zip locks and my fire starting gear. I use the dry bag as a bear bag over night.

plan for the worse and hope for the best. reality lies in between.

NASA was big on redundancy. I use that method as well with my different bags and modes of transportation.

I just bought a poncho for my BOB too! Although, the quality kinda sucks... it will still be better than nothing if I get caught out in the rain.

Exit, I did this very thing a few years back. Things I learned...

1) Loose items such as clothes/towels/washrags are packed in

drybags or Rubbermaid containers.

2) I've created a color code system in which items are to be

loaded and which 4 wheel drive it goes in or trailer it's loaded

on.

For instance, red/red: truck, first. Green/Red: suv,first,

Black/Orange: trailer,second, red/orange, truck,second.

So I basically color coded vehicles and prioritized loading

stuff. I plan on bugging-in. However, if G.O.O.D. becomes a necessity we'll have a plan to do it quickly if needed.

Good thinking. I don't have that much gear yet though.

A friend and I did our first shake down cruise on our BoBs this weekend. I wanted to post some of the things learned, I figured it might save someone else a little trouble.

1- I am not He-Man! I need to get my wife a BoB, I carried many duplicate items for her in my pack, as well as extra water since I didnt think my friend was bringing enough. Holy crap was that heavy, and we probably only walked a mile or so.

2- Water, water, water! As said earlier in this post (I believe by Exit) a gallon of water a day is NOT ENOUGH. If you are doing any kind of difficult physical activity, plus cooking, you will run out. A water filter and or water purification tablets are a MUST.

3- Cooking in a canteen cup is not like warming up water for coffee in the army, need to get a hiking cookset.

4- Need a scouring pad and anti-bacterial dish soap for cleaning up after cooking.

5- Plastic tent pegs = teh suck! Ditch them and get real metal ones.

6- Dryer lint is godly when it comes to catching a spark and starting a fire with a firesteel. Alternatively carry a sack with you to collect natural very fine tinder like cattail fluff or very thin and dry birch bark.

7- Practice is invaluable! Take a weekend and go 'camping' with your BoB. The lessons learned may well save your life in a real bug out situation. Or at the very least make it more comfortable for you.

8- Thermarest camping pillow... OMG those are some sweet pillows, for comfort I would recommend to anyone.

Im sure there are more points, but those are a few that both my friend and I agreed on.

^ all good points.

Here is a fun thought. If it takes 15 minutes to boil the canteen cup of 1/2 litter how long does it take to replenish your gallon of water for the next day.

Thats why boiling water is my last resort for purifying water. As soon as I can afford one, a Katadyn pocket water filter will be my #1, water purification tablets my #2, and boiling water my #3.