Sign in to follow this  
tidermike14

Reading "Lights Out"

I forget who, but someone on this site recommended this book and I have to say, it is a great book. I cannot put it down. Not only is it a great story, but it gives you an idea(s) of what it might be like in a SHTF situation and some pointers on prepping and what might be most important. I feel that an EMP or some other major natural disaster is more realistic when thinking of SHTF. I just wanted to say thanks to whoever it was and if you haven't read it, pick it up. It is a great read.

It is a good book. Very eye opening in many aspects. It not only portrays the looting but also how the government (both local and federal) could react. No one is safe from looting/rioting when the SHTF. I liked how it was educational on many levels from security to gardening. It didn't go into a whole lot of details, but enough to give you ideas and make you want to research it more. The only downside is that they just seemed to be extremely lucky in many aspects. Great book. I liked it better than Patriots and One Second After.

OK, so I'm a grumpy old man - what I did not like about the book was the serendipitous way the things they needed always managed to pop up. Not just things but people. The retired gunny saved their bacon but I wouldn't plan on having him after TSHTF if he isn't part of the team before hand. Same with the unlimited fuel supply. Several other such items. OK, much of survival is going to be "luck of the Irish" kind of things but the more you depend on luck, the more at risk you are.

Having said that what I really appreciated was the role of the local authorities. County sheriffs will be the local power to be dealt with. If they are good, your county has a leg up on everyone. If corrupt, you may need to GOOD. The whole 'what the government gives, the government can take away' was a good lesson if folks will see it. I also appreciated the insight to just how impossible it is for a small group to secure an area of any real size. The problems of farming, maintenance, and security will quickly overwhelm even a reasonably sized force. The arrival of the literal "cavalry" just in the nick of time during the sniper hunt was a bit of 'deus ex machina' that detracted from the story. Yes it introduced new characters but, again, a poor plan A for survival. What I really thought was a good lesson is that the government may well be among the last things to disappear, if they ever do, and to get crosswise with the government is bad news for your survival. That lesson plus NEVER GO TO A SHELTER, CAMP, WHATEVER that the government has set up for you are enough to make the book valuable. The additional lessons are also good - the slow collapse is what I think is most likely and this story has some good insight into how it might occur.

My only other complaint is the amount of combat that went on. I just don't think there will be that much combat involved. Small groups against 1 or 2, perhaps but large scale engagements I think are unlikely. Just my not so humble opinion.

Oh, another plus. The brother's (I think) GOOD journey was very instructive. I thought the book was worth the price for that story alone.

Looks like some extra information got dumped in the post.

I've asked jorgea to review and possibly edit it for clarity.

I cleaned it up.

Edited by Capt Bart
added last line.

I found the book Lights Out to be entertaining and with some educational value. Like the good Captain, I did think the luck of finding things just in time was a little Swiss Family Robinson but overall a good read.

BTW, if you are a fan of survival fiction and have not done so, please take a moment to check out the "Survival Fiction" thread in the Books, Literature and Documents area. We have 14 pages of reviews and discussion. Enjoy!

One thing I just thought of; there was a very good point about buying weapons and hunting. IF government is still around having a CHL allows you to buy weapons (at least in Texas) even if there is no internet to allow background checks. A dealer who would not worry about selling a weapon to you WROL might be very reluctant to do so if the government might still come knock on his door. That CHL gets past that even if you never conceal carry.

Same thing goes with the hunting license. I don't hunt anymore but the ability to do so might figure large in your plans. If it does, weigh the added visibility of the license against the additional freedom to hunt that getting the license every year gives you.