Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Jerky - food of the gods

Guest survival101

Gotta brag. Weedeater has the batch of beef jerky almost dried and ready. Food of the gods! That and a little wild salad greens and i'd be good to go.... So who here makes jerky, and dish out your secrets!

Gotta brag. Weedeater has the batch of beef jerky almost dried and ready. Food of the gods! That and a little wild salad greens and i'd be good to go.... So who here makes jerky, and dish out your secrets!

Have you ever tried Miller's Country Ham Jerky? Made by Miller's Country Hams in Dresden, TN. It is a real break from just jerky. Granted it is packed with salt but it is good. Drink plenty of your favorite liquid with it.

You can always make your own to suit your taste. It would be good practice... would it not?

The stuff is really good !!!! If I say so myself. The article quoted below says it will keep (sealed) for two weeks unrefrigerated, but I bet if you vacuum packed it... A long, long time. Looking for the next beef specials already !!!!

hey guys I literally have no experience making jerky but I was wondering what you think would be the best "primitive" way of making jerky? by "primitive" I basically mean no electricity for the most part, I hope that ended up clear enough haha
I agree with Vis... that is the easiest way... just be sure to be in the smoke zone and not over the heat directly... (will cook it rather than dry it). Looking forward to trying this method with some fishies...

Fishes? Well then try your local Winn-Dixie store, if you have one in the area if not ask your market manager it the seafood section. Our local W-D carries smoked dried herring. We have been buying it for years. Have not tried to do any home style as of yet as I do not have access to fresh herring. I can give you instructions for eating the smoked herring.

LOL.... all the Winn-Dixies have closed over here in MS... Being of Swedish heritage... have had herring in more ways than you can imagine including a few regrettable ones. i Like the marinated ones in dill and onion. Had some smoked king salmon in Seattle last fall that almost made me and the wifey cry it was so damn good. Actually smoked some catfish a few years ago (LOL) back in boy scouts in the method described above... was pretty dang good. Keep it in the smoke and right on the edge of the coal circle....

Well, here in Alabama they have not been told that they should be closed. You know that word travels sloooow. I love the marinated ones but am sort of tired of the VITA brand...almost too sweet, just right on the edge. I get the smoked herring and soak it in fresh water, changing the cold water every 30 min. until the water that is poured off is clear. Then leave it in the fridge over night covered in water. The next morning the herring is rinsed, dried off and placed in a container and covered in canola oil. Fridge over night then ready to eat. The bones are so soft by then that they are not even noticeable.

Or you can eat them in the smoked state but you have to clean out the bones first. I like them this way also but they are full of sodium.

Smoking catfish? Don't they fall off of the paper. I would imagine it would make the difficult to light. LOL

Edited by VIS 9

Love beef jerky, and have made many batches of both beef and venison.

Marinate: Worchester sauce, Low Sodium Teryaki Sauce, liquid smoke. Don't measure, just put the prepared meat in a freezer/storage bag and pour the liquids in until it looks okay. Probably 1/2 cup of each and a few table spoons of the liquid smoke. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then pop it on the dehydrater for 24 hours.

Love beef jerky, and have made many batches of both beef and venison.

Marinate: Worchester sauce, Low Sodium Teryaki Sauce, liquid smoke. Don't measure, just put the prepared meat in a freezer/storage bag and pour the liquids in until it looks okay. Probably 1/2 cup of each and a few table spoons of the liquid smoke. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then pop it on the dehydrater for 24 hours.

Hello Unk,

Sounds good to me. Of course, I would leave out the Teriyaki as I find that it is somewhat over-powering with a sweet taste which I find unpleasant.

Not having a dehydrator, I just put my jerky on the racks of my gas stove and leave the door partly open and just the heat from the pilot light is enough to dry the jerky. This does however, take quite some time.

Hello Unk,

Sounds good to me. Of course, I would leave out the Teriyaki as I find that it is somewhat over-powering with a sweet taste which I find unpleasant.

Not having a dehydrator, I just put my jerky on the racks of my gas stove and leave the door partly open and just the heat from the pilot light is enough to dry the jerky. This does however, take quite some time.

Hey Vis,

Understandable, as with any recipe, it's the tasters choice. :)

If you have a couple of spare $20.00's, I've seen dehydraters at Wally World that are similar to what I use. I'd love to have one of those industrial sized one's. Some friends have used your technique as well. :)

Guest survival101

Speaking of dehydrators... We'd love one of those industrial ones too! Or any. It's on the short list. But I visited my folks today, and my Dad had been given a dehydrator for his birthday. Came from one of my relatives who has their head up their... You have to wonder?? Where on earth did this thought come from, and secondly, thank goodness it did. He'll be able to dry some jerky, figs, and fresh market produce this year. I do worry about my extended family.