Sign in to follow this  
brickintubesock

Affordable ALICE for a combat rig-style BOB?

Hi guys,

I'm beginning to build my BOB and I've chosen to build it in the style of a military combat rig, centered around a framed ALICE pack. However, I've discovered that in the last seven years or so, framed ALICE packs in my town have gone from an affordable $20 to a budget-murdering $70. I think that's ridiculous, because I can get the MOLLE stuff for cheaper.

Meanwhile, I have a decent-condition framed WWII mountain bag like this one, which I was thinking about selling or giving to my dad later: http://www.militaryitems.com/product.php?productid=17523&cat=487&page=1

My options are:

A) Bite the bullet and get an ALICE pack,

B) Go with a different bag style and redesign my BOB accordingly, or

C) Use the mountain bag

What do you guys think? Thank you everyone.

If you can get the molle stuff cheaper, then go that route. You already have the mountain bag so I'd start with that as it's free at the moment. If you need an ALICE pack, Call the number in the link below, tell him what you need, and tell him Jason from Sparta Fire sent you. He'll ship it and it'll be cheaper than what they're going for in your area.

http://www.fortbarnes.com/

Have you checked on ebay for an ALICE pack? I'd check online for the ALICE pack and frame, usually find some good deals, especially since the military doesn't use them hardly, if at all, anymore.

I'm not sure what you mean by "combat rig" either. Are you planning on using the military style "web gear" also?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Military-Large-ALICE-Pack-w-frame-Nice-shape-/200714014707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb7ccff3

Here is a link for large ALICE pack and frame for $20 on ebay.

Man, I spent a lot of time with the alice pack, if you can get anything else I'd recommend it. They can take a beating and hold your stuff more or less secure, but they are also a misery to wear with weight for extended periods. Civilian style framed packs will treat you a lot better.

That's a good deal at Ft Barnes. Ebay you never know if they will be in stock or if someone will up the bid. I always added aftermarket kidney pad, shoulder straps, etc to my ALICE packs.

I agree with VT, I prefer my civilian packs for comfort.

Wow, that does sound like a good deal! Thank you! What I mean by "combat rig" is the type of web gear system that combat troops are issued. Basically, I want to be as mobile as possible, but with the ability to fully use my weapons when I need them. I believe that when SHTF, my town will be bloody - my part of town is clustered with gang-filled apartment complexes and the Police are already overwhelmed.

I have heard about the friendliness of some civilian systems, but I would worry about how well they would work with the rest of my gear, and when it comes to the MOLLE system, I would have to change a lot of my other gear to be compatible with it, although I do like what I've seen.

You can attach the older ALICE web gear to MOLLE systems. I personally use the outer sheath from paracord to attach my gear when using the ALICE clips anyway. I've also wore my web gear with civilian packs without any undo burden or discomfort. I always used my suspenders and pistol belt to carry canteens and the ammo pouches for small items when squirrel hunting (when I wasn't using blackpowder or my lever action).

I like the ability to drop my ruck and still maintain essential gear with my web gear but it does draw attention and scrutiny in a civilian area. If you already have the web gear, run with it. I have the H harness, Y harness, LBV and MOLLE vest. I liked my H harness but love my MOLLE, too many attachment points not to love it.

Sweet, I had my head backwards about the MOLLE gear. I also like the idea of dropping essential gear - so far my belt will hold ten mags of 5.56, four mags of .45, my pistol, and a canteen, so that I can stash my bag if I have to and still have what I'll need to make it through some fighting, with reloads in the bag itself.

I hope you don't have to drop the bag for combat. I'd look at a butt pack to carry real essentials in, food, first aid, extra bag to place stuff in you forage. You can also add a drop leg holster; it has nothing to do with looking "cool", it frees up area on your belt for other gear and you can drop your web gear and retain self defense capabilities.

The web gear allows me to keep essentials always on me without humping a full ruck; like going for water. Web gear should allow you to go for 7 days (IMHO) without formal resupply. I plan on trapping/hunting if possible while using my web gear, nut carry trail mix, chia seeds, etc for a food source. Now that isn't being fully stocked, but 'surviving". There are several threads that people have posted what they carry in a "3 Tier" system. Also, the articles cover alot of different ideas on what gear is essential.

I'd love a drop leg holster, but I'd have to get used to one again and I'm still looking around for other holster options for my pistol - usually I carry it on the hip, which has always worked well for me. I'm pretty sold on the ALICE pack, and until payday I'll stick with my WWII pack.

I have the OK from my CFO to purchase the alice pack.

But here is a question..Durning my Military service (72 to 75) we only had web gear.Being an Engingeer we never wore them, So I have no knowledge of the alice pack.Im good on useing back packs but never with a frame.

I can purchase 1 large and 1 medium with shoulder strap(alice) for the same cost as 1 large with the frame.

What the advantage of the frame??????

I could purchase the frame later.

Help...

The advantage of the frame is that it helps with how the weight and load itself is carried, and it also gives you a great way to carry more gear - a lot of people like to strap excess gear to frame. In a scenario where you need to be quick, like foraging for supplies, it could be very useful to strap bags or found items to the frame instead of having to take off your pack to load things or carrying them in your hands.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a waist strap for it - they help with comfort and load carry and they're worth the extra little cost.