Sign in to follow this  
droptrd

shotgun loads for coyote

what are you guys using? Ive used slugs and OO in the past. I dont like using slugs after deer season in IL in case I run into a DNR guy. OO can get pricey. You really cant use a rifle for anything in IL so I like to use a shotgun. Its fun. I currently have an infestation on my property. Time to blow through some ammo.

If I can't use a rifle I use a handgun and a predator call to bring them in close. On something the size of a cyote I'm more likely to get a one shot stop out to fifty meters with a handgun from a supported position than a shotgun with 00, unless you have a shotgun that patterns it quite well.

Another option would be #4 shot, but you'll need to get them in a bit closer if you want to be 100% on a one shot stop. But then again I'd rather have a rifle than either of the others, lol.

If I can't use a rifle I use a handgun and a predator call to bring them in close. On something the size of a cyote I'm more likely to get a one shot stop out to fifty meters with a handgun from a supported position than a shotgun with 00, unless you have a shotgun that patterns it quite well.

Another option would be #4 shot, but you'll need to get them in a bit closer if you want to be 100% on a one shot stop. But then again I'd rather have a rifle than either of the others, lol.

Yeah Id rather use a rifle to but these DNR guys here are pricks. They have more rights than god and use logic simular to that of my 2 year old. Ive caught them deep into my property many times. Nothing I can really do about though. Its easy for them to say Im hunting deer with a rifle. When it comes to their word vs mine in the courts, guess who will win every time? Ill try some #4s. 3" i assume?

Mainly for fun. I have alot of dogs out there too so Im not sure about traps. Our 13 year mutt got messed up pretty good recently by coyotes. Thats when I started really hittin the deer trails in my timber and realized I have an infestation on my hands. In the past Ive taken around 1 or 2 a year out on my property. Now.....coyotes beware! lol

The best time to get them by me is just after dusk. Usually catch them crossing the fields. On nights with a good moon I would try to set up no more than 35 yards from where they like to come up from the timber. A good moon lit night a coyote isnt to hard to see at 25-30 yards with a shotgun.

Yeah Id rather use a rifle to but these DNR guys here are pricks. They have more rights than god and use logic simular to that of my 2 year old. Ive caught them deep into my property many times. Nothing I can really do about though. Its easy for them to say Im hunting deer with a rifle. When it comes to their word vs mine in the courts, guess who will win every time? Ill try some #4s. 3" i assume?

Yeah, I hear ya, DNR can make your life a lot less pleasant. Yeah, I've had pretty good results with 3" #4's. I'm not much of a shotgun guy, so I've never messed with chokes and such to control my spread, but with a 18" CB, or 24" MC I've had good distance and saturation. Maybe mansized out to 60ish meter with CB, and dog sized with an MC.

Chokes? What are those?;) lol I just point n shoot. Im not even sure what choke I have in my 24". Probably modified.

Yeah, I hear ya, DNR can make your life a lot less pleasant. Yeah, I've had pretty good results with 3" #4's. I'm not much of a shotgun guy, so I've never messed with chokes and such to control my spread, but with a 18" CB, or 24" MC I've had good distance and saturation. Maybe mansized out to 60ish meter with CB, and dog sized with an MC.

Yeah, the standard to seems to be Modified, so that's a safe bet. I'm not a shotgun guy, so if one comes along with better knowledge and info set me straight, it would be appreciated.

Edit; On a side note, the cyote exterminations I've done or been involved with we always tossed the carcasses into a big bonfire. Leaving a food source lying around could potentially attract more cyotes and other scavenger in. Did 23 dogs once, had the fire doing for two days and the farmer that called us down used his tractor to bury everything when the fire died down.

Edited by Vicioustom

Hevi-Shot makes a dead coyote load you can order online from Cabelas a little pricy but I have used them quite a bit and they work great

http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammunition-hevi-shot-dead-coyote-ammunition-2.shtml

p.s they're 3.5 inch shells so you wont fit as many in the tube just a heads up when out huntin them 'yotes

Yeah I saw those. Unfortunately Im using a mossberg 500. Cant load 3.5" shells. I should look up what size shot they have in in them. I can load my own soon. I just won an auction for a clean lee loadall II with a ton of wads and hulls for $40 shipped.

drop, look into a company called pattern master, they make a choke specifically for coyote hunting with a shotgun. I dont rememeber the model or name specifically but it's on their website.
great advice. I never new such things existed. Very interesting. This could be fun.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I went to my local shop and picked up all kinds if loads and chokes and started patterning yesterday. Picked up a Carlsons Coyote choke too. Really dense patterns at 50+ yards with federal 3" vital-shok OOO. wont be saving pelts with that lol. Also got good results with winchester 2.75" Varmint Express #4 with a mossberg extra full choke. They didnt have hevi-shot but its deffinately on my list. Also tried different slugs and Sabots.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I went to my local shop and picked up all kinds if loads and chokes and started patterning yesterday. Picked up a Carlsons Coyote choke too. Really dense patterns at 50+ yards with federal 3" vital-shok OOO. wont be saving pelts with that lol. Also got good results with winchester 2.75" Varmint Express #4 with a mossberg extra full choke. They didnt have hevi-shot but its deffinately on my list. Also tried different slugs and Sabots.

When you finish, please share your results. Sounds like you're going after this the right way.

Here is some of my pattern results. I find that the larger the shot (ie OO and OOO) lower velocity is better. Most of the 3" buck loads wouldnt pattern well at all. Especially with tighter chokes like full, X ful and XX full. The lower velocity Federal Vital shok 3" 000 shoots at 1100 fps did fairly tight patterns with a full choke and did really well with my new Carlson's Coyote Choke. Carlsons say you should get a coyote sized pattern out to 70+ yards - I WASNT getting that but it was the best choke for longer yardages. I was tight out to 55+ yards. Pretty good.

The 2 #4 buck loads I had shot the best of all. The remington 2.75" 4BK and the Hornady 2.75 Varmint Express #4 buck. The Hornady had the best results of any load with my 28" 500 with the Coyote choke. Also with the same results but slightly less yardage was the Win SUper X 3" 1250fps 4 shot. I used an X Full with that one. Those loads are commonly found at walmart too. They were pretty devestating.

So in short, try to find lower velocity loads with your heavier buckshot. And get a good Coyote choke such as the Carlsons.

Mossberg 500 w/28" barrel

looking for at least 75% of shot in a 30" circle. (with buckshot I personally like it in a 15" circle)

the coyote choke says it can do a coyote sized target at 70+yds with buckshot - im much more conservative with my ratings

here's the best I patterned

Federal Vital Shok 3" 000 1100fps - coyote choke (55-60 yds), XFull (35yds), Full (20yds)

Federal Power Shok 2.75" 00 1325fps - coyote(45yds), XXFull(20yds), XFull(30yds), Full(30yds), Mod(35yd

Hornady 2.75" Varmint Express #4buck 1350fps - coyote(65+yds), XXFull-Mod(25-35yds)

Winchester Super X High Velocity #4bird 2.75" 1290fps - coyote(50+yds) Full(30yds)

Remington 2.75" #4buck 1150fps - coyote(60yds)

Edited by droptrd