Sign in to follow this  
devildog

Building a BUG IN

In reading many of the posts in the forums, it is clear that a lot of us are planning to bug in for our first choice. (Me included) I would be interested in seeing some guidance and ideas on how best to support this choice. What would the life style changes be? How do you store the supplies and equipment you have set up? What are the special issues you see that will need to be overcome?

Edited by devildog
spelling correction

To start this off: My house includes Bomb Shelter circa the 1950's, made out of concrete and cement block. Built poorly, I must add. I have used it only as a tornado shelter and for deck furniture storage in the winters, because it is wet and moldy and cold and hot and generally not good for much, not even good for a bomb shelter.

So far that is. As my prepping is going to need its own space soon, I have decided to re-purpose the shelter into a Prepper Room, and I sure would like to learn from everyone elses experience. It is a longer lasting project, but I have done some pre-construction and planning already.

Any interest in this subject?

Are you able to use a basement sealer to help waterproof the shelter? I'm not sure what your land drainage is like, but even putting in plastic farm tile may help keep it drier. Also, does it offer it's own ventilation? I've looked a couple houses with like shelter built back during the cold war, one was well kept and the other I thought would make a good hole to bury refuse...lol.

Are you able to use a basement sealer to help waterproof the shelter? I'm not sure what your land drainage is like, but even putting in plastic farm tile may help keep it drier. Also, does it offer it's own ventilation? I've looked a couple houses with like shelter built back during the cold war, one was well kept and the other I thought would make a good hole to bury refuse...lol.

I think mine is descended from the "refuse hole". It does have air pipes for inlet and exhaust (undersized) and it does have a sump pump which does work. Tiling is one option, but I believe the bulk of the moisture is from condensation rather than seepage. I am considering using the spray on insulation which theoretically will solve all of my problems. (So says the guy who sells it, anyway!) It really is a nice space if I can get it dry and warm.

Dog, Can you establish a small blower motor to the air flow vents? This may also help with the moisture problem if it is condensation. I'd look at the real small vehicle blower motors. If it's condensation, also sealing the floor will be imperative. I was actually looking to use a spray in bed liner to do that task on a project. It would seal and was alot tougher than regular paint, also it wasn't like walking on ice if it got wet (be bad to break your leg in the "safe room").

I grew up in construction, so have some knowledge here, but my "expertise" (read journeyman level) is in a single phase but I worked most stages of a building project. Also, if it doesn't give away any OPSEC, what kind of dimensions are you working with?

Devildog, two websites which might be helpful: DIY and the "How do I", That gets you away from somebody who might have a financial interest in selling a product.

You could also reach out to Snake, the man has incredible knowledge.

On this topic, are there any articles on bugging in at work? Many of us spend a significant amount of our days away from home and at work. I work in a city, and the prospect of successfully exfil'ing the area in a SHTF scenario without ample warning is mediocre at best. An article on preps that are useful and won't catch too much attention from your coworkers and supervisors would be useful.

On defensive landscaping: plant bushes like holly bushes or other bushes with sharp, pointy and uncomfortable leaves close to your house. They accomplish the same aesthetic goals as other bushes and serve the added benefit of keeping people from hiding in landscaping close to your house.

Edited by Major Krisis

i plan on bugging, but have limited space ie a 14x80 single trailer on a rented lot, we have a shed but it is mostly full of items that are sentimental to my mil and not at all practical to keep. like a babydoll crib and bassinet and other various items that her father bult that she is unwilling to part with under any circumstances. about the only helpful items in the shed is a standing refridgerator whose freezer doesnt freeze, which we store milk in. we have two large chest freezers both pretty full of food. the walls are covered with shelves that house tools that havent been used in twenty years. the house is pretty packed as well, solid full of furniture, most of which is once again unable to be parted with. we plan to buy a bigger place, as 5 people in a 3 bedroom trailer is kinda crowded. i need ideas for space management. right now most of my preps are packed in backpacks or a large toolbox, with our food and water being used as we buy it. i buy extras, but eventually it will get used. makes it hard to keep up in such a limited space. we need to store at least 15 gallons of water as an intial prep. im thinking 5 gallon jugs. im thinking of using the bottom of my closet for preps like food and toilet paper, plastic silverware, plates and cups. any tips on how to better use the space i have?

Guest survival101

Major Krisis, I'd be interested in seeing any response to your question. It's a good one.

an attractive yet very thorny bush to plant as a defensive lanscaping is the barberry. they come in red and yellow, and the thorns can be up to an inch long. i used to landscape and used to make cuttings with those for a nursery. they are painfully, like briars or blackcap bushes can be.

Guest kevin

i'm not sure if it will grow in your climate jess but here the baddest thorn bush/tree is the honey locust. 6 inch, 3 tiered thorns.....and the seed pod are edible, kind of sweet, they give it the name HONEY locust....invasive tho.

I have a 55 gallon drum of party favors and Easter eggs i will distribute on my lot

pieces of plywood filled with screws and nails, sharp ended 1/4 inch rebar and other

things as well as small amount of concertina and a lot of barbed wire.

and some other fun items waste not want not the nails in my plywood are from reclaimed lumber

got them from a friend who was cleaning lumber for sale.

Guest kevin

hey snake.....i need 2, 40ft or 3, 20ft shipping containers to bridge over the top of my below ground swimming pool. we are making a root cellar/bunker. i'm in north east texas close to longview...any ideas?

i plan on bugging, but have limited space ie a 14x80 single trailer on a rented lot, we have a shed but it is mostly full of items that are sentimental to my mil and not at all practical to keep. like a babydoll crib and bassinet and other various items that her father bult that she is unwilling to part with under any circumstances. about the only helpful items in the shed is a standing refridgerator whose freezer doesnt freeze, which we store milk in. we have two large chest freezers both pretty full of food. the walls are covered with shelves that house tools that havent been used in twenty years. the house is pretty packed as well, solid full of furniture, most of which is once again unable to be parted with. we plan to buy a bigger place, as 5 people in a 3 bedroom trailer is kinda crowded. i need ideas for space management. right now most of my preps are packed in backpacks or a large toolbox, with our food and water being used as we buy it. i buy extras, but eventually it will get used. makes it hard to keep up in such a limited space. we need to store at least 15 gallons of water as an intial prep. im thinking 5 gallon jugs. im thinking of using the bottom of my closet for preps like food and toilet paper, plastic silverware, plates and cups. any tips on how to better use the space i have?

Our first house was a 14x70 mobile home on rented space also. If you are situated like most, your trailer is at least 24 inches off the ground on piers or stands of some sort. That is over 2000 cubic feet of storage space. With careful thought to packing things in water/bug proof containers, almost anything can go there. This space is equal to several small sheds, just a little more difficult to access, so put the "not used for 20 year" stuff under the house.

On this topic, are there any articles on bugging in at work? Many of us spend a significant amount of our days away from home and at work. I work in a city, and the prospect of successfully exfil'ing the area in a SHTF scenario without ample warning is mediocre at best. An article on preps that are useful and won't catch too much attention from your coworkers and supervisors would be useful.

On defensive landscaping: plant bushes like holly bushes or other bushes with sharp, pointy and uncomfortable leaves close to your house. They accomplish the same aesthetic goals as other bushes and serve the added benefit of keeping people from hiding in landscaping close to your house.

Back when I was in school, my bride was working downtown - we had a line of thunderstorms train over Houston dumping inches a hour. Flooded everything and we had to bug in. I had the University to hide out in, my lady was stuck in a high rise. Food was vending machine and it was short term so we were OK. It does make on think.

At work down I have a weeks worth of food and several sources of water plus a collapsible 5 gallon container for backup. I also have a weeks worth of essential meds that I rotate monthly. Downtown would be tough. During a flood event, a lady took the elevator to her underground parking spot and when the doors opened the water that had flooded the place poured in and killer her. Situational awareness is the key for the downtown areas. If you're on the 43rd floor, do you walk down immediately, wait, and if wait, for how long?

Without knowing what you're prepping for it is tough. The response to an EMP is not the same as the response to an atomic bomb or bio attack. Still, I think if you don't go immediately, you are in the bucket for days or weeks before you can leave. That leads to questions about food, shelter, water, the whole list.

If I may ask, what city and what's your thoughts on what TSHTF scenario you'll be dealing with.

Our first house was a 14x70 mobile home on rented space also. If you are situated like most, your trailer is at least 24 inches off the ground on piers or stands of some sort. That is over 2000 cubic feet of storage space. With careful thought to packing things in water/bug proof containers, almost anything can go there. This space is equal to several small sheds, just a little more difficult to access, so put the "not used for 20 year" stuff under the house.

This. Many trailers have a 'trap door' in the laundry room/pantry that will let you get under the trailer from inside the house. With some planning and exterior grade plywood sheathing (the thin stuff works fine) you can make an actual rodent proof storage room under the home for stuff. If you are lucky enough to have your trailer mounted on a hard concrete pad, its even easier to segregate your storage underfoot.

unfortunately my house is on blocks, with dirt underneath. we do store stuff like the psuh mower and snowblower under there though. ill have to figure out a long time plan. frankly ive just been working on a 72 hour kit first. once thats settled ill work on more long term plans.

It would be nice to see the forums actually have an area for 'Bug in' vs 'bug out'. since they are two opposing strategies that require different approaches.

I'd like to see some specific info on Hurricane prepping (this is what I prep for). I sent an email to Joel, asking about writing for SC, but I haven't heard anything back in quite some time.

It would be nice to see the forums actually have an area for 'Bug in' vs 'bug out'. since they are two opposing strategies that require different approaches.

I'd like to see some specific info on Hurricane prepping (this is what I prep for). I sent an email to Joel, asking about writing for SC, but I haven't heard anything back in quite some time.

Survivalcyclist,

If you are wanting to write for Survival Cache, I would suggest that you put together an article (surviving, product review, book review, etc.) and send it to Joel in a word or text format. When he has time (like most of us, he works at a "day job") he'll get back to you with comments/suggestions or acceptance for posting.

Thanks Capt Bart, I wasn't sure what format they wanted and whether or not I needed to sign a release form (etc), so I emailed him to ask. Didn't want to send a bunch of stuff in and then have them say 'oh, no we aren't looking for that kind of stuff, but thanks' :)