Sign in to follow this  
Floyd

Back to Basics

There is a great Reader's Digest publication called "Back to Basics". I have an older version but looking at the more recent releases the information has not changed much, just a prettier binding.

The book is chocked full of just about everything from picking a homesite, how to build a home, fireplaces, heating, wind and solar power, wells, natural refrigeration via spring house, gardening, sanitation, year round harvest, weaving, making rope, metal work, soap and candle making, tanning leather, weaving, even recreational things like simple instuments.

Though this book is not the be all - end all of self suffeciency, the information it contains is just what you need to get re-started.

If I have to bug out, this book and the Bible are coming with me, in that order...

I especially found it interesting what foliage and how close to the home and from what direction the wind blows. Also how they were putting roof beams up. Spending 1 night a week reading the book could commit alot of that info to memory.