Sign in to follow this  
brickintubesock

Mountains, or Plains?

I personally feel that you would be better off to leave with the first wave, waiting too long will allow the goblins or whatever to start to organize...and a caravan of vehicles will be a fat target.

As to your question of mountains or plains, I think someone already mentioned the foothills. I personally think that would be your best bet. You can build some type of dugout type house, that would make it harder to spot. I agree that the military crest of a valley would be a good choice, you may also condsider having your BOL face south for extra light and warmth from the sun.

VonBayern, good idea about using the sun. Help from the good people on this forum has prompted me to be more clever about my bug out plan, so I am reworking when and where. I got a lot of help from a list of criteria that Capt. Rob wrote for choosing a location, so using a tweaked version of that, as well as the feedback from the thread, I've decided on going with a position near where the mountains meet the plains, likely on a military crest, and near or on a good water source. I'm still tweaking the criteria list a bit, and I've about chosen a style of shelter that should work well, though I'll tweak my plans to fit my location when I choose one.

There is an intermediate choice the upper foot hills proceeding the mountains get some land on top of a good sized hill in close poximity to the mountains thereby allowing for hunting parties hill country is superior to the mountains for game diversity and amounts of available game, wild crafted medicinals, fruits and vegetables. and allows for cultivation without the extremes of the mountains while giving you the more easily defended high ground it does not have to be an either/ or, look for the middle ground.

The refugees/golden horde/"zombies" all face the same geographic and environmental conditions you do, most likely with less skill and preparation than you have. Take the desert, for instance. It's hard to survive when you know what you're doing. It will kill you in a matter of days if you don't. Your average zombie in my area takes a pint of water, shorts, and running shoes into the desert for a day hike, and no survival gear. That's a dead man walking.

A crisis doesn't necessarily make the sheep any smarter, so use it to your advantage. Beware the pitfalls, too. An obvious, known water source will draw the zombies, for example.

Yeah that's one thing that's been hard about looking for a BOL in my area - there aren't as many water sources as I would've thought which aren't on private land or very close to the cities, so I've been looking for areas which have sustained rain or snow, so I could maybe make a good gathering system. The weather in my area is notoriously funny, so we might get rain for three days or not for a week lol. I'm definitely planning on using the terrain to my advantage - when I was a bit younger, I studied castle and fortress design, and some of these people will have no clue what'll hit them if they come after my party lol.