Sign in to follow this  
jessiecrafty1

my plan

i am working on making several decisions. i found a tactical knife that i am considering. also in talks with mother in law about a hunting rifle choice. almost certain i am going to get pepper spray. mother in law has gotten home and she has promised to teach me meat preservation/canning. so our plan is to can chicken and beef. we have some canned venison already. getting ideas of more foods to can as well. i have purchased my first home preppers book. also found an excellent deal on a solar powered am/fm radio. so i bought that too. im making baby steps. i put together aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen and other necessities in a kit that i will use to expand on my first aid kit. my plan is to be prepared for 3 to 6months of food storage at the moment. i will expand on that later. could really use input. i am relying on self defense because i dont have the physical capabilities to evacuate. i have two small children and a disabled mother in law that i must defend as well. am looking to purchase a storage shed in which i will begin to stockpile food and water. resorting to food prep. not sure about water prep yep because i cant use iodine to purify water, as i have a thyroid condition that would be aggrevated by the potable water tablets. i can stockpile some bottled water but i dont have enough room to store 3-6 months worth. what should i do? i found the adaptor that i can use to drain the hot water heater but since i live in a trailer our hotwater heater doesnt hold that much water. mind has been made up to get one of the bathtub water storage systems that use a siphon hose. i am weighing all my options and devising my plan. as far as warmth goes, we live next to the woods. i can get all the firewood i want. also going to obtain the same kind of wool blankets used by emts so that we have another way to stay warm in addition to our blankets. adding thermal clothing to that list as well in case of a blizzard. ice cleats are a must have. i have a pair of them somewhere around here. having hubby look into getting the headlamps. its about the only prepping i can get him to do. he sees my prepping as paranoia. but i can get him to see that the headlamps are a necessity, especially in our area where the lights go out quite often. i need ideas. i have tons of ideas just not the money to implement them

First of all, congratulations on taking the first steps. Getting prepped can be overwhelming. My wife and I took several months to get to our current level, and it's still not what I would like it to be. (will it ever be?)

Regarding the water storage issue, you have a few options. If you're going to be storing your gear in a shed, water storage would be difficult with the threat of freezing and breaking the containers unless you are going to heat the shed. Since iodine treatment is a no-go, then consider bleach or a filter system made for outdoor use such as katadyn. http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters/

For the food, be sure to store it in containers vermin can't get into. We have all of our noncanned preps (even non food) stored in five gallon buckets to organize/preserve it as best as possible. Plus, if we absolutely have to get the heck out of dodge, we can grab and transport it easier that way.

You have a daunting task ahead of you with several challenges and I don't want to retype info you can find on other threads. There are a lot of smart people and well trained people on these boards that have posted good info. I just wanted to drop a couple thoughts on you. Good luck with the preps, and good luck getting the hubby onboard!

It seems you are in a bit of a tight spot. I started out prepping some years ago without the support of my wife ,she even had the kids teasing me.But eventually my dedication to the cause won them over, my boys, in their thirties now have their own prepps and my wife supports me. Bootstrap had some excellent suggestions and the only things I would add is, for water poolshock is a good purifier you can go online and find the right mixtures.

For months I spent an extra $5-10 a week on canned goods and just stored them, you will be shocked at how fast they accumulate. I just had a can of pears that I bought in 2007 and they were fine. Look up the shelf life on canned food ,its a lot longer than you would think.

I'm gonna piggy back on my earlier response. It took me awhile to find this link. Here is a link to another thread on these boards regarding what foods to prep/store. A tip of my hat to juzcallmesnake who originally posted this list.

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?541-What-emergency-scenario-are-you-prepping-for-!/page3&highlight=food+storage

Welcome to the site Jessie. I would suggest reading the articles on the main site as well for ideas. Someone mentioned the "rule of 3" for gear. If you can't find 3 uses for it, don't get it. This is a pretty good philosophy to cut some initial costs and space needed to stockpile. Some things will be a different choice (firearms, water filtration, etc) but for most things, it is a good process.

Do you garden? If looking for a weapon for self defense, I'd suggest a shotgun more than a rifle. Rifle has the range advantage, but the shotgun can be more lenient on target aquisition, especially in the dark. If the big game in your area consists of deer, a 223 bolt action may be a decent rifle. It will offer a lighter recoil, ammo is abundant, cheap and a wide variety. I do not know all your limits, so looking at a lighter caliber may not be necassary. I actually have 1 myself. I do not have to worry about my wife shooting one of my 30 caliber or larger rifles (recoil issue) and it gives me a decent weapon to train my 13 yr old son on the fun and intricacies of long range until he is comfortable with the 30 calibers.

As the others said, read the threads, read the articles and ask all the questions you have. The only dumb question is the unasked one. Most everyone on here is here to learn and share experiences they have had with others. The prepping community is very good at sharing and helping anyone looking for help.

Jessie,

this may help your water storage problem. you can use one gallon water containers stored outside. Your would need to paint them black. Build a small greenhouse from clear plastic and 1x2 lumber. Might take a day to build the green house. Have in face south as to take advantage of the sun. I read an article on passive solar heating where a couple lined the back wall of their greenhouse with the black colored water jugs. The water heated up during the day and released heat at night. The greenhouse would maintain 60 degrees at night when the outside temps were 10 degrees. This was in Ohio.

You can collect rain water into a large 55 gallon black plastic drum. Then move the water to the gallon jugs as needed

And all this for the sake of gardening........................

Edited by awake

Guest survival101

Hi, Jessie. Check out all the good threads here. And download the LDS preparedness manual. It will give you some great ideas, then creativity is up to you. Just being here and reading up will spark all kinds of good ideas. Good Luck.

Hey Jessie, I made some suggestions for water concerns in the other thread you started, you can maximize the volume of the boil and chlorinate method with stock pots, and plastic drums. I'll also recommend against the "tactical" knife, a quality bush knife will serve you a bit getter and still be capable of de-animating a human being if necessary. Depending on the degree of your disability you can have a gunsmith modify a rifle to fit your needs, an old friend of mine missing part of his left arm went this route and had a one handed rifle made.

The old olive drab USGI wool blankets can usually be found for a good price, and are exceptionally warm. In fact if money is a concern look at a surplus stores and sites, they sell more than clothes, and you can get a lot of functional survival staples for a low price. Everything from rope, to water storage can be found on one of these sites. I've done business with this one and they have a pretty diverse selection http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/ Cheaper than dirt is also a good place to check with.

I agree with Vic. I would rather have a good knife then a tactical knife. It's a funny word that seems to add 40% value to an item while the amount of quality it adds varies wildly from manufacture to manufacture.

man, ive been preaching this same thing for a very long time. "tactical" is a buzz word that companies use

to boost prices and speed up sales. tactical knives, boots, packs, its all the same.

most way over priced. shop around and do your homework.

I'll echo the "tactical" knife comments. Get a solid knife that will do the work and forget the tactical stuff. Rambo ANYTHING costs more to do less! A solid survival knife like the military issues to its pilots or a Kay Bar or something similar should cost less that $75 or so and will do almost everything that needs doing. Add a Swiss Army knife and you've covered the requirements for well under $100.

As for water storage, if you have room, investigate a small, above ground swimming pool. The kids will love it and you can run the water through a Berky for drinking or use as is for flushing or washing or gardening etc. It's the kids pool so no need to even hide it as most folks won't see it as a prep. That could buy you anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand gallons of water, depending on size and it rain fills as a freebie.

As for a firearm, look first at the task to be covered. The job defines the caliber and the caliber defines the platform. Autonomous is right about hunting. I'd add, also learn how to dress the animal. Harvesting a deer is wasted if you ruin the meat because you don't know how to dress it out.

I advocate rather strongly that combat is probably not a primary task for a survival weapon. If it is, you have to move, you can NOT successfully defend a location, long term without a rather large group and you will take losses. Since I'm not willing to accept the losses, I'll move if I have too, even though I am disabled. It's a lousy choice but against 50 MZB, even with combat weapons I lose and lose family members unless I have full auto, belt fed firepower.

I prefer 5.56 to .223 for safety reasons (several threads on that topic) but it is a decent caliber for some game. I personally think it is light for anything larger that a white tail but that is me. I prefer a 30-30 lever for close in and a 7 mm Rem Mag bolt for longer ranges. Neither are really hard recoil guns, I shoot my lever guns often and can put aimed fire down range about as fast as the semi-auto shooter can put aimed fire down range. In a survival situation, I think 'spray and pray' a large waste of ammo that will be difficult to replace. If you live in the world of large predators or prey (bear, moose, elk) then I would argue that the 5.56 is just not enough gun. The 30-30 was designed to give the westerner a survival chance against the Grizzly. The 7mm is also effective with the right ammo. Those are my choices, there are others.

If the ranges are always close (like the Texas Big Thicket country) then a shotgun might well be the better choice. A 20 gauge would work well if you or a member of the family is recoil sensitive. A 12 is a great choice of course.

Just my not so humble opinions.

Oh, welcome to the site. It sounds like you are making an excellent start. Feel free to ask any questions you wish - usually one or two of us have an opinion, or two, or three on most topics.

my BOB is coming together nicely. and my bug in bag as well. working on a bit of both. decided to make backups on all my important documents, and put on a usb drive as well. making a medical alert bracelet with a usb drive as well. bought can openers for shelter in and bug out bags as well as one for my evac location which after talking to my parents, they agreed to let us use their basement as a fall out location. im going to store foods at their house as well as at mine. We found a perfect vehicle for hubby, and will also make a great BOV. Im getting an electronic cigarette system for my mil. my radio came in the mail, an ETON red cross edition solar batttery and crank powered system, with am/ fm / shortwave and weatherband. also has clock and alarm. got headlamps for kids. hubby is going shopping for his hunting rifle on monday. He is seriously looking at a Savage. sorry boys i dont know specs. its for whitetail hunting if that helps any. found a decent priced hunting knife that will make a nice addition to my hubbys sharp and pointy collection which is mostly pocket knives and katanas. i made an altoid can pharmacy, complete with benadryl, immodium tylenol adult and low dose aspirin, ibuprofen, childrens tylenol. my first aid kit contains tums, as well as bandaids, gauze pads, cleansing wipes and antibiotic ointment. once i find my bandanas, i will pack them. packed away a mini brush with mirror, lens wipes hairbands tissues, hand wipes. a lighter and tealight candles too. paper and pen. looking at getting a lensatic compass, cause i know how to use that kind. my dad taught me when we used to go ginseng hunting. wondering if you all might have suggestions for an edible plant guide, i know a lot but could use a refresher course. figured out a mini water purification system in a pinch. involves coffee filters and bleach. the first aid kit i referred to earlier is my edc kit. i have a larger much more extensive first aid kit. when i can i will be upgrading to an emt style kit.my hubbys aunt is an emt and so i know what im looking for from what shes showed me of her first responder bag. theres one just like it on amazon. highly considering a pandemic kit due to my poor health and the fact i have small children and older people in my household to prep for. thats a down the road idea. my dad has agreed to let us use his food dehydrator. yay. i miss dehydrating stuff. used to do it all the time as a kid. still waiting on my prepper guide to get here. still working on getting necessities planned out. i cant use a kiddie pool for water storage though. the landlord wont allow us to have a pool of any size. bought a set of emergency triangles for vehicle. have duct tape and tarp in car as well as ponchos, and will have mylar survival wraps soon. added gloves and hats to edc bag. will be working on making up bags of spare clothes for in car. made up 3 days worth of medications to keep in edc. will keep extras at parents house as well. started working on what i dub the "barter" box which has old medications, and condoms, and feminine hygiene products so far. came up with the idea of getting free samples of stuff like soap and other toiletries to have on hand or barter with. cant hurt. will be adding playing cards to a bag of activity stuff like word search books and other things to keep kids busy. considering adding homeschool style workbooks. just in case we are stuck together electricity free for long periods of time. what havent i thought of? trying to cover all my bases and not spread myself too thin resource wise. trying not to go all out in any one direction.

the items in altoids containers are all in little labeled pill baggies. they are all clearly marked. i got the baggies at cvs. multivitamins are included among my medicines because of my gastric bypass, they are a necessity. i have chewable multivitamin, calcium citrate, magnesium, zinc, as well as a few herbals that i have been assured are safe to use with my prescription medicines and the vitamins. i have to pack twice as much vitamins because my hubby is also a gastric bypass patient. we dont absorb regular multivitamins and have to use specially designed vitamins. so im stocking up on them a bit. it would be dangerous for us to go several days without the vitamins. as far as the gun issue, since hubby will be firing it im leaving it up to him to get what suits him best. i agree with the garbage bags and will be adding them post haste. if theres anything anyone else can think of, sound off.

as far as the gun issue, since hubby will be firing it im leaving it up to him to get what suits him best. i agree with the garbage bags and will be adding them post haste. if theres anything anyone else can think of, sound off.

you both should learn to fire it. what if hes not around and you need it?

you both should learn to fire it. what if hes not around and you need it?

Ricks,

absolutely agree.

jessiecrafty1,

Make sure that you get a weapon you are comfortable with. My wife does not like my 12 ga shotguns to the point that she doesn't shoot them. No practice, no skill. She does like her 20 ga and is very skilled with it. The 20 is what I wished I had bought in the first place. If you are happy with a 9mm but hate a .40, then as a family you should have a 9 or a 9 for you and a .40 for him. A gun you are not proficient with is a hazard for you, your family, everyone actually. What ever he gets, you need to at least be able to operate the weapon and hit targets at self defense range.

Just my not so humble opinion, but in this case, I am very right.

can openers came today, so i added them to bag. preppers guide came so im looking it over and taking notes. bought a firestarter, and am going to make up vaseline cottonballs. hubby has settle on a 30 06 savage, and it comes with a scope. ive shot a 30 06 before so i know how to use one, except this one comes with a clip

instead of single chamber which could take some getting used to. its been over 15 years since ive fired a gun. still giving thought to necessities for preps. water storage is still in the works and i am slowly stockpiling

canned goods and other foods. having trouble deciding what to stockpile for my 9 year old as he is a picky eater and most of what he eats are perishables. trying to decide what to add to my new idea for an altoid can, as ive already made a mini pharmacy and im using a prescription bottle for a fishing kit. my vaseline cotton balls could use a home, and i just purchased a firestarter. i suppose i could put matches and a lighter in there as well and make a firestarter kit. i also have a button compass coming in the mail. actually i bought a quanity of 12 of them for 1.00. shipping was only 99cents. so i could add the compass if i had room. im bidding on a multitool to add to kit as well so we shall see if i end up getting that. one way or another i am getting one, so its just a matter of time sort of thing. waiting for trowel to arrive as well. could really use some more ideas as to what my kit needs.

i have used rifles before, but just not for a long time. its been 15+ years since i fired one. i was fresh out of my hunters safety course when my dad took me out for deeer season. i had never killed anything before and when it came down to it i just couldnt pull the trigger. i will get a refresher with the rifle but i just meant i am letting him make the decision on what to buy considering he will be the primary user. i wouldnt want something that is comfortable for me, but that he would find uncomfortable. thats all i meant.

Also when buying a hunting weapon your states legal requirements someone earlier suggested a .bolt .223 however most states require a minimum of .25 caliber or larger for game sized animal hunting .30 cals have the more available ammo sources however some find the families recoil and weight to much small framed and light weight people generally find the .270 much friendlier and it is legal

bought a small bottle of bleach for water prep. also bought some firefighter alert signs to hang in our bedroom windows just in case. got 2 child id kits in the mail, so im adding them to my ICE binder. they are nice with places for fingerprints, description, picture and even swabs for DNA samples. also had baggies for hair samples. call me paranoid, i love my kids, and i see this as a small way to protect them. ive got a medical alert paracord bracelet in the works. also purchased usb drives to back up important papers, and some sd cards to hold all our photos, in case of an evac. im putting together my ICE binder, with an address contact book, a healthcare directives living will, my will, and even my family tree. things i see as important and cannot even consider leaving behind. also to be included will be our birth certs, ss cards, bank info, and other important information. im trying to get organized which is quite difficult for me, a bipolar with adhd. the bipolar im being treated for, the adhd im unable to use the medication that would help me as i have mood stabilization issues while on it. so if i may seem scatterbrained at times, thats probably why. my multitool is on its way here. i am having hubby get wooden matches because i have trouble lighting regular ones. so im having him grab me a bunch of the little boxes that i can tuck into my various packs. im creating a master list of all the things i think i may need for my survival packs. that way i can check it off one by one as i get things and keep inventory as well. i found a wash basin that is small and had a built in washboard so i got that off amazon. figure it can be used to pretreat stuff, and if it came down to it i can use it to wash clothes if the electric goes off. which it frequently does here in winter. im thinking of adding ziploc baggies to my shtf bag because i can use them to forage for food in the woods and nature if i had to. which is where i am still looking for a good edible plant guide. its been nearly 5 years since i was nature foraging for food, and i dont remember like i used to. i think thats all my updates so far. my hubby bought me some more altoid tins so i am looking for ideas for them. im going to use one for my button compass, and can opener. im thinking of adding a signaling mirror to the inside of it as well. i dont know what other things will fit in there. my firestarter flint should fit, and i know a lighter will. considering the vaseline cottonballs still. i just dont know what kind of room ill have for all of it. i have two tins and its not like i cant get more if i needed to. speaking of tins, im having my mom save her pot pie tins so i can reuse them as cooking pans for the esbit stove i plan on getting on down the road. i figured out the fishing line thing. i took one of the spools with a handle from one of the broken kites that my son hid in his room because he didnt want me to throw the kite away. im trying to reuse all that i can. my boys have been running power outage drills. they turn off all the lights and then navigate the rooms and set up our emergency kit supplies. they are getting quite good at finding the flashlights and headlamps and then securing things like food drinks and blankets.

my husband decided on the 30.06 and i have no problem with that. both i and my mother in law are experienced with that caliber. come spring we are buying my 9 year old his first bb gun. i think hes old enough to handle it, i was seven when i first learned to shoot. im going with the same one my daddy taught me on, a daisy red rider. keep in mind that mine was already 20 years old when it came to me. the one i had is 40 years old and my dad said the barrel is warped so we are going to buy a new one.